30 April 2018

With 30 June fast approaching, now is the time to consider making the most of opportunities for your super. In addition to topping up your retirement nest egg, you will also benefit from some generous tax breaks.

Strategies include:

  • Maximising your super contributions
  • Claiming a tax deduction for personal contributions
  • Splitting contributions with your spouse
  • Triggering the 3 year non-concessional cap before turning 65
  • Performing a “lost” super search and consolidating your super accounts
  • Utilising the government co-contribution
  • Low income spouse contribution and tax offset.

Maximise your super contributions

From 1 July 2017, the concessional contributions cap (non tax deductible) is $100,000 for members 65 or over but under 75. Reminder: If aged 65 and over you must meet the work test to contribute to super. That is, if contributing after turning 65, you must be gainfully employed for at least 40 hours in 30 consecutive days in the financial year the contribution is made and before the contribution is made.

Members under 65 years of age will have the option of contributing up to $300,000 over a three-year period - depending on their total superannuation balance (see below)

The contribution and bring-forward available to members under 65 is outlined in the following table:

Total Superannuation Balance

Contribution and bring-forward available

Less than $1.4 million

Access to $300,000 cap (over 3 years)

Greater than or equal to $1.4 million and less than $1.5 million

Access to $200,000 cap (over 2 years)

Greater than or equal to $1.5 million and less than $1.6 million

Access to $100,000 cap (No bring-forward period, general non-concessional contributions cap applies)

Greater than or equal to $1.6 million


Concessional contributions (tax deductible) are subject to a yearly cap of $25,000 for all individuals regardless of age (note: this cap includes employer contributions and salary sacrifice contributions).

Claim a deduction for personal super contributions

This is the first year where both self-employed people and employees will be able to claim a tax deduction for super contributions.

However, if you intend claiming a deduction for personal super contributions, you must lodge a deduction notice, in the approved form, with the fund before the earlier of:

  • The day you lodge your tax return for the year in which the contribution was made, or
  • The end of the financial year after the financial year in which the contribution was made.

If you would like more information on the strategies identified above, please contact your adviser.

General Advice Warning

The information provided in this article is general in nature only and does not constitute personal financial advice. The information has been prepared without taking into account your personal objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on any information in this article, you should consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your objectives, financial situation and needs. Before making any decision, it is important for you to seek appropriate legal, tax, and other professional advice.



Suite 6, 618 Ruthven StPO Box 421Toowoomba, Queensland, 4350

07 4688 8400


142 High St PO Box 321Stanthorpe, Queensland, 4380

07 4681 6700


39 Hawthorne Street Roma, Queensland, 4455

07 4622 4345


Level 2, 13/22 Baildon Street Kangaroo Point, Queensland, 4169

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.

Independent Member of Walker Wayland Australasia Limited, a network of independent accounting firms.

AFCA membership number 45857.

Authorised representative of Accession3 Financial Advisers Pty Ltd AFSL 331990

Copyright 2021 © Power Tynan Accountants | Advisers | Financial Planners | Mortgage Brokers

Privacy PolicyCredit GuidePrivacy Collection Statement